Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Where do I "fit in"?

When I joined PRC I had no clue about pace as such. I didn't even own a running watch but I was using a running app on my phone to track my runs. I guess one great benefit of the Learn To Run program is it makes it a little easier to find people to run with at a pace you are comfortable with. Me? I followed some of the fastest people in PRC on my second Saturday coffee run!  Let's go back shall we?

When I showed up for my second run with the PRC gang, I was expecting to see the girls from the first week. When I got there I realized that they weren't there. I was a little disappointed but still looking forward to my run. I remember hoping the route would be the same as the week before because I wasn't familiar with the area. I started out behind some runners and they seemed to be taking the same route as the week before, or so I thought. The runners ahead of me were FAST! I began to realize that I should have probably followed the other group that went another route. Too late for that, I just kept going. 

One thing I noticed as I ran behind them was that they kept looking back. One of them always seemed to be checking on me. I knew I wouldn't be lost in Paradise and I was very happy about that LOL. Someone would even run back to check on me from time to time which was nice. When they reached where I had turned around the week before, they kept going! Oh no, I was not prepared for this new route. I had no clue where I was going! I kept following along and when they took a left to run up Paradise Road, I thought that was the end of me! OMG that hill is something else. Up I went, more of a walk than a run and there they were at the top waiting. By the time we ended back at coffee matters, I had another 8K with the group under my belt. They all told me I had done great and I felt great that I didn't quit.

I haven't forgotten that run and how even though I was much slower, I got it done! We all have different paces and abilities and like everything else in life, we can't be afraid to try and find our place. One thing though is that even though most of us run with people who are around the same pace as ourselves, everyone is welcomed on every run in PRC. Don't be afraid of joining in with other runners from time to time. Step outside your comfort zone or take it back a little. You never know what you may be missing out on. I had no idea that on my second run with the club that I was following behind Craig, Tanya and gang. I don't think I've done it since! LOL But one thing is for sure, they all got me through it. 

The Learn To Run group had their 5K Graduation run this weekend past. I want to take this opportunity to say that you all ROCK! This year so far has not been great weather wise for running. To be quite honest, it has really sucked but you did it! Whatever your next goal is, I wish you luck. Keep at it and don't give up if it's something you really want. I've learned a lot from other runners in this club and you will too. Get out there and join in on the different runs. You never know where the roads and trails will take you and what you will accomplish with the help of your PRC running buddies. To quote Helen Keller,  "Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much."


I "fit in" just fine, you will too!

Tonia Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment